Originally named Fort Putnam, the park was a site of the Revolutionary War in Brooklyn where thousands of soldiers died in battle. It was officially designated a public park in 1847. Designed by famed architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux Fort Greene park was designed to both commemorate fallen soldiers and as a public place of activity and rejuvenation. The park continues to offer tremendous value for Brooklynites from all walks of life today. It sits at the nexus of local landmarks the Brooklyn Technical High School, Brooklyn Hospital Center and Walt Whitman Houses. This central location highlights and underscores its importance to the diverse local population and the broader population in Brooklyn. While the park's official history is documented in relation to military battles and personnel, the park finds its lived meaning in the ways Brooklynites play and create within its boundaries today and those that have done so over the course of its storied history.